Sunday, May 22, 2011

High Elves - Back to Basics


As I had mentioned in my post yesterday. I almost literally got ran off the table during my game of Warhammer Fantasy. Now, before I go any further, I am not one of those players who placing winning above the fun aspect of the game. But I would like to at least master the game and get more enjoyment out of a gaming session. Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with any opponent that I've ever played. Classy players one and all. So the work has to start with me.

After some considerable thought, I think my inability to play well as less to do with lousy dice rolling that it does with the fact that I don't know my army. I need to spend more time with my army and learn what it can and cannot do. So...I'm going back to basics. I cut it down to a 1,000 point list that is an 'ideal starting army' for a new player. Which is basically what I am. The term, 'ideal starting army' comes form the High Elf army book.

Basically, I've started with GW's recommendation for a starter army on page 73 of the book. I decided to go with Dragon Princes instead of Silver Helms, because let's face it, those are stupid looking models. The new plastic Dragon Princes are great looking kits. Here is the list that I'm going to begin with:

1 Prince on Elven steed w/ Ogre Blade
10 Archers w/ full command
15 Spearmen w/ full command
10 Sword Masters of Hoeth w/ full command
5 Dragon Princes w/ full command
1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

The list does not have any magic, but I figured one step at a time. Plus, both my mages were absolutely useless yesterday. So in future posts, I'll add updates to this project and hopefully include a little fictional background as well. In the meantime, I'm re-reading the army book and payings specific attention to the unit entries that are in this starting force.

No comments:

Post a Comment