I assembled my Crimson Fist Tactical Squad and after adding a few bits here and there, and a little more filing, these guys are ready for primer. I'm looking forward to getting started on painting this squad with the new colors. I went with the metal shoulder pads because the decals don't settle too well on the plastic shoulder pads even using microsol.
For the basing, I used a mix of GW Sand and a Coarse Brown Ballast made by Woodland Scenics that I bought at my local hobby shop. I think the GW stuff is too fine to be used by itself, but that's just my two cents. At least now it looks more like what I would imagine as the rocky surface of another world.